Nathalia's Birth Story

It’s simple, military wives just downright amaze me. They endure quietly behind their husbands with a grace that I hope to find one day. I have met so many amazing, strong and brave women thanks to my husband’s career. Natalia is one of those ladies, her story astounds me and scares me all at once. Looking back at my labor & delivery, I just couldn’t imagine doing it if Kendall was halfway across the World. Exactly a year ago this Mama did just that and I admire her strength beyond words. Read on to see how Nathalia brought her beautiful baby boy into the world.

The birth of Benjamin James as told by his Mama:
I’m not too entirely sure where to begin so I’m just going to try to
dive right in. My first daughter was born at 39 weeks and 3 days after
being induced for hypertension. I had planned to do it naturally but
pitocin and a 30 hour labor made me change that decision. I knew that
with my second baby I would still try for the natural birth that I
always wanted. And then at 19 weeks pregnant, we were told that my
husband would be leaving in 10 days to deploy for 6 months. I had to
now wrap my mind around the fact that he would have to miss it but I
still kept my natural birth plan.
I was able to move back home to be close with family and found a
doctor that I loved. At 37 weeks I started progressing. By 39 weeks I
was already 4cm so we decided to strip my membranes… which did
nothing! I was determined to have my son come without medical
interference so I just kept trying everything, from walking to
Then the day before my due date I woke up to use the restroom and
realized I had lost a good bit of my mucus plug and also had some
bloody show with it. I told myself that this may still be nothing so I
decided to just walk around the house while everybody was still
asleep. Within an hour I noticed that I was having contractions every
10 minutes, which the doctor had told me was consistent enough to go
to the hospital for. So I told my mother-in-law, my sister, and my
sister-in-law that it was baby time. They would be the ones with me
while everything happened. We showered, dropped my daughter off with
my aunt, and took off to the hospital.
When we got there I was only 5 cm. My contractions were definitely
noticeable but not painful. I was still able to laugh and walk with no
problem. The nurse asked me what my birth plan was and I told her that
I wanted absolutely no medical interventions. No water broken, or
pitocin, or anything of that sort. She was amazing about complying
with my wishes so she let me see how fast I was progressing before
admitting me. After much walking and 2 hours later, I was still at
5cm. My nurse made the decision to let me go home so that I could
hopefully progress more at home. It is now noon and I’m crying because
all I wanted was for this baby to be born. We left the hospital,
grabbed some Chick-Fil-A and my daughter, and then headed home.
The whole ride home I played some Jesus music and cried. I felt so
defeated and like my body was going to fail me. I tried my best to
relax when I got home. I decided to take a bath and see if maybe that
would get things moving a bit. After an hour or two, I was to the point
that I couldn’t move during contractions. I was having to really focus
and breathe through them. My sister-in-law timed them at every two
minutes and told me that it was time to go back to the hospital. I
just prayed the whole way that hopefully I had actually progressed
this time.
As soon as we got there, the nurse checked me and I was at 7 cm!! I
was so happy. They put the IV in but didn’t connect me to any fluids
so that I could roam around. My sister was able to set my husband up
on the computer so that he could see everything happening. It was now
about 4 pm and I had start moving. The contractions were getting so
hard and real! I remember just moaning so loudly, trying to breathe
out lower tones so that I would open up more. I was able to get to a
good pace of about 1 cm per hour. I tried the yoga ball, rocking, and a
peanut ball.
At about 5 pm, I was at 9 cm. I was in so much pain. I was still moaning
VERY loudly and just wanted to be done. The doctor came to see me and
told me that she could break my water, and that could be the push I
need to finally get to 10cm. I was beyond ready, so I reluctantly let
her do it. She left to get ready and so my family started praying for
me. I got that anxious feeling of, “Oh my gosh! I’m finally going to
meet my son!”
The doctor came back and I immediately started pushing. The hard part
was that I didn’t actually feel the urge to push. If anything, my body
was trying to clench instead of pushing out. I tried laying and
sitting and just nothing felt comfortable. My doctor was amazing and
allowed me to get on all fours to see if that would feel better. I
still had no urge to push but I was able to really rest between
contractions so I stayed that way. The next 30 minutes were a blur. I
was so done with labor at this point. I was yelling for an epidural or
a c-section. I remember telling my mother-in-law to not let me have
any more kids. I cried and whined. The doctor then realized that I had
a lip on my cervix so she fixed it while I pushed.
This was my favorite part, surprisingly enough. In between pushes, I’d
lay forward and just stare at my husband on the computer screen. I
tried to just memorize his face instead of thinking about the pain I
was in. Then when it was time to push, the people in the room would
count down from 10 to make sure it was a long, big push. Except there
was a lag on the computer. So my husband was one second behind and I
could just hear him saying each number. He’s the one that I heard
and relied on. Even in Afghanistan, I was drawing my strength from him.
I finally let out a huge push and heard all the women in the room
screaming. I knew that meant my son’s head was out. I was
determined to be completely done with this so I pushed once more and
was able to get the rest of his body out. It felt so good and it was
even better knowing that he was finally here! I was able to lay down
and they immediately put him on my chest. He was a bit purple so they
gave him oxygen for a little bit while I delivered my placenta and got
some stitches. I got a little loopy at this point and I remember just
repeating to my husband that we had done it! We had a baby boy! And a
big one at that! He weighed a whopping 9lbs 1oz. They brought him back
to me and I was able to do skin to skin and just stare at him for
Benjamin James was born on March 10, 2017 at 6:02 pm. And my husband was
able to meet him 2 months later, on May 9th, 2017. 

Happy first birthday Benjamin, give that strong Mama of yours a big ole’ hug!

Leave a Reply